Monday, June 7, 2010

The Secret Lives of Interns: Sara's 24th Birthday!

A blog by Sara Paternaude-Schuster

One of the best things about being an intern is getting to know a great group of new people- both supervisors and fellow interns. Even though I’d only known the people at JMM for a few days, I decided to invite everyone to my birthday celebration on Saturday.

To begin the night, many of my friends joined me at the bar and restaurant Holy Frijoles in Hampden. We ate lots of nachos and drank plenty of beer (don't worry, we're all of age!). Fellow JMM intern Rachael G. showed up just in time for cake, and everyone sang happy birthday to me.

Holy Frijoles- good for dinner or a drink

After cake, the group headed over to a tiny dive in Hampden. The official name is The Clipper Mill Inn, but everyone calls it the Bloody Bucket. It is actually so small that it doesn’t even have a sign with the name- you just have to know where it is or you’ll never find it.
You’ll find a very eclectic crowd at the Bloody Bucket.

When I walked in the door, the first thing I noticed were intern supervisors Jenn and Rachel standing by the bar. After introductions, we got down to the serious business of why we had come to the Bloody Bucket at all- karaoke!!!

Not one of my friends, but this guy clearly has the right idea.

While waiting for our turns to come up, I happened to glance over my shoulder just in time to see Mr. John Waters walk by. That’s right, THE John Waters, Baltimore filmmaker, celebrity, and general hero. He was in town for a book signing, and it was just luck that he came to the bar we were at. Everyone was very good, though, and let him enjoy his night without any random fans coming up to him.

The man. The legend. The John Waters.

We had a great time, and many of us got up to sing karaoke. Intern Rachael gave a flawless rendition of “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” and I sang my favorite Dolly Parton song, “Jolene.” We ended the night with everyone in the group singing “Build Me Up Buttercup.”

I’m very glad I got to meet so many wonderful people at the JMM, and share my birthday celebration with some of them. Having John Waters show up was just the icing on the cake.

Here’s to starting off a great summer at the JMM!

No comments: